Sheriff Tony Thompson took office January 1, 2009 (Article) and was re-elected in November of 2012 with nearly 70% of the vote (Article). His law enforcement career started much earlier however... He joined the US Army as a military police officer in December of 1988. His career with the Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office began in March of 1994 and he has worked in the Jail, Special Services and Patrol Divisions. His prior assignments include: Drug Education Officer, Community Services Coordinator, Computer Crimes Investigator, Patrol Officer, Public Information Officer, and SWAT Team leader prior to taking command of the Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office.
Sheriff Thompson's Biography:
Graduated: Winterset High School, Buena Vista College, University of Northern Iowa: BA- Communication Studies, Currently finishing MS- Public Administration/Criminal Justice at Liberty University
Elected: November 4th, 2008
Took Office: January 1st, 2009
Wife: Janel Sons: Brady and Bryce
- Currently on the Executive Board for the Iowa State Sheriff's and Deputies Association
- Currently on the Advisory Board for the Aspire Therapeutic Riding Program.
- Currently on the Executive Board for Black Hawk Economic Development, Inc.
- Currently a Board member for the Covenant Hospital Foundation Board.
- Current Member and Past Council President of the Executive Board for the Winnebago Council of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Currently serves on the governor's Criminal and Juvenile Justice Planning- Public Safety Advisory Board.
- Actively involved in fundraising for Habitat for Humanity and Big Brothers/Big Sisters in Black Hawk County and the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
- Actively involved in Iowa Special Olympics and former local coordinator for the Special Olympics Law Enforcement Torch Run and Polar Plunge.
- Current member of the American Legion
- Current member of the 40 and 8
- Member of Iowa Ducks Unlimited
- Member of the National Wildlife Turkey Federation
- Coaches and Referees Youth Baseball and Youth Wrestling
- Member of the Waterloo Moose Lodge
- Member of the Black Hawk County Democrats' Central Committee
- Member of the ISSDA's (Iowa State Sheriffs and Deputies Association) State Legislative Committee
- Member of the Black Hawk County Chapter of the NAACP
- Awarded the McCartney Award from the Iowa Law Enforcement Basic Academy for conscientious performance- 1994
- Awarded the 300 Point Club Award for physical fitness excellence from the Iowa Law Enforcement Basic Academy-1994
- Awarded Deputy of the Year honors for the year 1999
- Awarded the Department of Public Safety, Commissioner’s Special Award for Traffic Safety - 2001
- Awarded the Drug Enforcement Administration's Enrique Camarena "Certificate of Appreciation” for drug enforcement efforts in Black Hawk County-2003.
- Awarded the Iowa Community Betterment Leadership Award from the Governor of the State of Iowa- 2003
- Graduate of the 98th Session of the National Sheriff's Institute, National Sheriff's Association and National Institute of Corrections, Colorado.- 2010
- US Army- Military Police 1989-2009
- Retired from Iowa Army National Guard
- Senior Non-Commissioned Officer/ Operations NCO for Officer Candidate School- Iowa
- Taught Basic and Advanced Non-Commissioned Officer Courses, Army Instructor Courses, Installation Security/Physical Security Courses, and Officer Candidate School
Notable Military Awards:
- Awarded the Meritorious Service Medal (2 Awards), Army Commendation Medal (4 Awards), Army Achievement Medal (3 Awards), Iowa Meritorious Service Medal (2 Awards), Iowa Commendation Medal (4 Awards), Iowa Leadership Ribbon w/ Torch, Army Humanitarian Service Medal, Iowa State Service Ribbon (5 Awards), and Iowa Humanitarian Service Medal