This is not an employment contract, nor does it purport to be all inclusive with regard to the duties, responsibilities or requirements of the position described.
Minimum Standards For Iowa Law Enforcement Officers
501-2.1 (80B) General requirements for law enforcement officers. In no case shall any person hereafter be selected or appointed as a law enforcement officer unless the person:
- Is a citizen of the United States and a resident of Iowa or intends to become a resident upon being employed. Railway special agents, who are approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety as special agents of the department, shall be exempt from the Iowa residency requirements.
- Is eighteen years of age at the time of appointment.
- Has a valid driver’s or chauffeur’s license issued by the State of Iowa. Railway special agents, who are approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety as special agents of the department, shall be required to posses a valid driver’s or chauffeur’s license.
- Is not addicted to drugs or alcohol.
- Is of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation including a fingerprint search conducted of local, state and national fingerprint files and has not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude. Moral turpitude is defined as an act of baseness, vileness or depravity in the private and social duties which a person owes to another person, or to society in general, contrary to the accepted and customary rule of right and duty between person and person. It is conduct which is contrary to justice, honesty and good morals. The following nonexclusive list of acts has been held by the counts to involve moral turpitude: income tax evasion, perjury or its subornation, theft, indecent exposure, sex crimes, conspiracy to commit a crime, defrauding the government and illegal drug sales.
Minimum Qualifications To Be Considered For Employment
1. Must be a citizen of the United States and be able to provide documentation if needed.
2. Must be able to speak, understand and read the English language.
3. Must be a high school graduate and possess a high school diploma or equivalency certificate (G.E.D) which meets, at least, the minimum scoring requirements by the State of Iowa as determined by the State Department of Public Instruction.
4. Must posses a valid Iowa driver’s license.
- Applicants will not be considered for employment at any time if they have been convicted of perjury or making false statements during driver’s licensing procedures.
- Applicants will not be considered for employment at this time if their license has been suspended, canceled or revoked in the three (3) years prior to the application process.
- Applicant must be insurable by Black Hawk County’s automotive insurance carrier.
5. The applicant shall be of good moral character.
- Conviction of a felony will disqualify an applicant.
- Conviction of a crime of moral turpitude, as defined by written regulations of the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy, will disqualify an applicant.
- An applicant who gives false or misleading information on the application or during the application process will be disqualified.
- A history of drug abuse will disqualify the applicant.
- Use within three (3) years of the application of marijuana, or any of its derivatives, will disqualify an applicant.
- Use or experimentation of marijuana or any of its derivatives, at any time before the third year prior to the application, will be evaluated, but in no case will an applicant be further considered if said use or experimentation goes beyond five (5) individual uses.