Sex Offender Registry

Iowa Website:

Frequently Ask Questions

    What are the rules about where a sex offender can live?

    There are different criteria depending on the offense. Those convicted of Sexual
Abuse 1st,  Degree, 2nd Degree, 3rd Degree;  except 709.4 (2)(c)(4) must abide by
the residency restriction law. As of July 1, 2009 the law changed in regards to
residency restrictions; you can call 319-291-2587, check the Iowa website, or
the Black Hawk County website.

    Can a sex offender be around children?

    Yes, if they are his/her children or step-children.

Q:    Can a parent be charged with child endangerment for leaving a child(ren) with
a known sex offender?

    Yes, child endangerment charges can be filed against the parent of a child(ren) for
entrusting their child with a registered sex offender or living with a registered sex
offender. DHS becomes involved with the parent and the child(ren). The parent is
exempt if married to the registered sex offender.

Q:    How do I register with the Iowa Sex Offender Registry?

A:    You must report to the Sheriff's Office in the county where your primary residence is
located to fill out registration paper work.  You must also register your place of
employment and any schools you attend.  You have five (5) business days to complete
this registration from the date you are convicted of a qualifying sex or sex related crime
and/or released from jail/prison, or you obtain a different residence, begin employment,
or school in Black Hawk County.

Website created by Far Reach Technologies