How Do I...

**You will need  Adobe Reader installed on your computer to view the following documents**

Have Someone Committed?

Attached is information in reference to having someone committed.

The Commitment Process.pdf **

Evict Someone?

Civil Process for Eviction

Get a No-Contact Order?

No Contact Orders    Protective Orders    Restraining Orders

If a person needs or feels they need to get a restraining order against another person there are a few ways to do this:

If it is a result of a domestic abuse arrest the judge will normally issue a no contact order at the time of initial appearance for the suspect that does not allow the suspect to contact the victim in person, through writing, telephone, email, text messaging, or third parties.

If the reason is domestic abuse and no charges are filed the person may contact the Black Hawk County Clerk of Court to fill out an application.  There must be a relationship between the two people at the time of abuse including any of the following:  married, separated, divorced, adult relatives living together, parents of the same minor (under 18) child or children, living together, lived together within the past year, intimate relationship, have been in an intimate relationship and have had contact within one year of the assault.

If the restraining order is the result of something other than the above reasons you should consult a private attorney to help draw up documents to take to the judge to get the restraining order.

The Iowa State Victim Notification Service (VINE), is a service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or internet to search for information regarding their offenders's custody status and register to receive telephone or email notification when their offender's custody status changes.  The VINE Toll Free Number for Iowa is 1-888-742-8463.

Find Sheriff's Sale Info?

The foreclosure sales are published in The Waterloo Courier four (4) weeks before the date of the sale, and again the day before the sale. They can be found in the Legal Ads section, usually beginning with the heading "Special Execution." Since sales are usually scheduled on Wednesday, Thursday and occasionally Friday, they will be published in the paper on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings.

Listings can also be found on-line at: 

Black Hawk County On-line Real Estate Foreclosure Sales

Notices of sales are also posted at the Black Hawk County Court House, Waterloo City Hall and also at the Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office.

Prior to the date of the sale, the mortgage company will submit a bid in the amount they are looking to recover from the sale. To be successful in purchasing a property, you must bid higher than the amount the mortgage company has placed on the property. If you successfully bid on a property, and satisfy the minimum bid, the amount of the bid in full needs to be brought to the Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office no later than 4:15 pm the day of the sale. This amount must be in either, cash, cashier's check or money order. If you fail to furnish the complete amount, you may be subject to a lawsuit from the bidding mortgage company for the full amount of the bid.

Bid amounts placed by mortgage companies on properties may be obtained prior to the date of the sale by calling the Sheriff’s Office at 319-291-5073. As we receive this information from the mortgage company, we may be able to give you this information, as an approximate amount, only one to two days prior to the sale.

If you have any questions, please call: 319-291-5073

Verify a Service?

 The verification of civil service processes through the Sheriff's Civil Division can be done by phone: 319-291-2587 ext 5103.

    Website created by Far Reach Technologies